Online Tax Australia loves what ambulance officers and paramedics do. You’re the unsung heroes of the medical world and we want to say thank you by compiling a list of all expenses you can claim when preparing and lodging your tax return.
Most of the tax benefits come in the form of tax deductions for out-of-pocket expenses that you have incurred throughout the course of the year that aren’t reimbursed to you by your employer.
Tax Deductions for Ambulance Officers and Paramedics: Accommodation and Travel
- Ambulance officers and paramedics may claim the cost of meals when working overtime provided you have not received a meal allowance from your employer. You can claim up to the allowable amount without keeping receipts but to make your claim easier it’s a good idea to keep receipts.
- If you are required to stay away from home overnight for work purposes, you can claim for the cost of accommodation and meals.
- You can claim the cost of travelling between alternating workplaces and between alternate places of employment, such as a second job.
For more information, please visit: Travel and Accommodation Expenses.
Tax Deductions for Ambulance Officers and Paramedics: Work Clothing
- You can claim the cost of purchasing, laundering and repairing compulsory uniforms and protective clothing including high visibility items.
- You can claim the cost of purchasing and repairing protective equipment necessary for work.
- You cannot claim the cost of purchasing conventional clothing even if you are required to wear it.
For more information, please visit: Uniform Claims.
Tax Deductions for Ambulance Officers and Paramedics: Self-Education
- You can claim expenses related to self-education for the purposes of your current employment, provided that you are not reimbursed for it. This means education that is designed to help you progress or receive a better salary.
- The cost of attending short courses and seminars aimed at improving your skills in your current employment are deductible.
- You cannot claim expenses for self-education that is designed to get you a job in a different profession.
For more information, please visit: Self Education Expenses.
Tax Deductions for Ambulance Officers and Paramedics: Other Expenses
- You can make an immediate claim for the purchase of work related equipment under $300 or if the equipment cost more than $300 you can claim depreciation over the life of that asset. If an item is used partly for business, and partly for private purposes, then you are entitled to claim the only the business-related portion.
- You can claim the renewal of licenses and registrations appropriate to your employment, you cannot claim the initial cost and this doesn’t extend to your drivers license.
- You can claim renewal fees for union or association fees.
- You can claim expenses relating to subscriptions to professional magazines, journals or periodicals.
- You can claim the cost of attending work-related conferences and seminars, including travel, meal and accommodation costs.
- You can claim the work-related expense of phone calls and Internet bills, provided you can demonstrate the private/work portion of the costs.
7 Great Reasons to Choose Us
- Comfort that an experienced, professional tax agent checks every return before its lodged with the ATO.
- Access to professional, experienced, qualified, transparent accountants who will answer all your questions and provide jargon-free advice.
- Convenient, fast and simple to use software exclusive to OTA. Tax returns can be completed in 15 minutes from the comfort of your home or office.
- Affordable, fixed price fee (which is completely tax deductible).
- Tax refunds within 10 to 14 days from lodgement (subject to ATO processing).
- Safe, secure, ATO-approved website that is operated with absolute integrity.
- Free to try. No obligation. Should you complete a return and decide not to submit it for review and lodgement by us then no fee is payable.
Contact Online Tax Australia for All Your Online Tax Return Needs
If you’ve been searching for an experienced, professionally qualified, transparent accountant that truly understands tax rules and regulations in relation to paramedics and ambulance officers, then contact the friendly team at Online Tax Australia today:
- Call us on (03) 9852 9051
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org