If you’re employed as a cleaner, there are plenty of tax deductions available to you. It’s important you’re aware of all the things you can claim or you could miss out on a hefty tax return come June 30. Most of the tax benefits come in the form of tax deductions for out-of-pocket expenses that you have incurred throughout the course of the year that aren’t reimbursed to you by your employer.
We’ve put together the summary below of what you can possibly claim when tax time rolls around.
Tax Deductions for Cleaners: Travel and Accommodation
- You may claim the cost of your personal car if it is used for work purposes, including travel to meetings, conferences or training that is not held at your usual place of work, or to visit your customer/client sites. If you do plan on claiming the cost of using your personal vehicle, you will need to keep a diary of trips in order to provide an estimate of the number of kilometres travelled. For more information on tax rebates for vehicles, visit:Vehicle Tax Deductions.
- You can only claim these expenses if the vehicle is owned and maintained by you. If an employer gives the vehicle to you cannot claim for these travel expenses.
- If you are required to stay overnight to perform your work you can claim the cost of transport, meals and accommodation, provided you keep receipts of these expenses.
For more information, visit: Travel and Accommodation Expenses.
Tax Deductions for Cleaners: Work Clothing
- You can claim the expense of purchasing, renting, laundering and repairing any protective clothing, compulsory uniform that has a company logo on it or a non-compulsory uniform that is registered with AusIndustry.
- You cannot claim an expense related to plain clothes.
For more information, visit: Uniform Claims.
Tax Deductions for Cleaners: Tools and Equipments
- You can make an immediate claim for the purchase of work related equipment under $300. If the equipment cost more than $300 you can claim depreciation expenses over the life of that asset. If an item is used partly for business, and partly for private purposes, then you are entitled to claim the only the business-related portion.
- You can claim the cost of insuring equipment used for work and for the interest paid in taking out a loan to purchase work related equipment.
For more information, visit: Claiming Tools on Tax.
Tax Deductions for Cleaners: Other Expenses
- You can claim the cost of protective equipment such as safety gloves, glasses or breathing masks.
- You can claim the cost of sun-protective clothing if you are required to work in the sun for part of the day.
- You can claim the cost of renewing union fees, but not the initial joining fee.
- You can claim the cost of work related phone calls and Internet expenses, provided you have written evidence of instances where the expense was incurred for the purposes of work.
- You can claim the cost of stationary used for work, appointment books etc.
- You can claim the cost of undertaking first aid training or OH&S training if your employer requires it.
- Home Office – If you perform some of your work from your home office, you may be able to claim a deduction for the costs you incur. The Taxation office allows a deduction of $0.52 per hour to cover the expenses of heating, cooling, lighting and depreciation of general office furniture such as chair and desk. Expenses such as stationery, telephone, internet, computers, etc can be claimed separately.
This is just a sample of the ways you can get more than you expected come tax time, so contact OTA and find out even more ways to get a little extra back.
7 Great Reasons to Choose Us
- Comfort that an experienced, professional tax agent checks every return before its lodged with the ATO.
- Access to professional, experienced, qualified, transparent accountants who will answer all your questions and provide jargon-free advice.
- Convenient, fast and simple to use software exclusive to OTA. Tax returns can be completed in 15 minutes from the comfort of your home or office.
- Affordable, fixed price fee (which is completely tax deductible).
- Tax refunds within 10 to 14 days from lodgement (subject to ATO processing).
- Safe, secure, ATO-approved website that is operated with absolute integrity.
- Free to try. No obligation. Should you complete a return and decide not to submit it for review and lodgement by us then no fee is payable.
Contact Online Tax Australia for All Your Online Tax Return Needs
If you’ve been searching for an experienced, professionally qualified, transparent accountant that truly understands tax rules and regulations in relation to cleaners, then contact the friendly team at Online Tax Australia today:
- Call us on (03) 9852 9051
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org