Engineers have a range of tax deduction available to them. We know how important you are in keeping our cities, roads and building functioning so we thought we’d say thank you by giving you a rundown of the ways you can put a little extra in your pocket when it comes to your tax return.
As you’ll see, the majority of the deductions for which you qualify arise as the result of expenses incurred during the year, for which your employer has not already reimbursed you.
Tax Deductions for Engineers: Motor Vehicle, Travel and Accommodation
- You may claim the cost of your personal car if it is used for work purposes, including travel to meetings, conferences or training that is not held at your usual place of work, or to visit your patients at their homes. If you do plan on claiming the cost of using your personal vehicle, you will need to keep a diary of trips in order to provide an estimate of the number of kilometres travelled. For more information motor vehicle claims, visit: Vehicle Tax Deductions.
- Travel between work and home is considered a private expense unless you are required to carry bulky equipment that cannot be stored at work, or you have regularly changes places of employment, such as various building sites.
- You can make immediate claims for all expenses associated with overnight or overseas travel as long as you keep written evidence (such as diaries and receipts) of expenses incurred, and your employer doesn’t reimburse you for these expenses.
For more information, please visit: Travel and Accommodation Expenses.
Tax Deductions for Engineers: Work and Protective Clothing
- You can claim the cost of buying and laundering any item of clothing that is part of a compulsory uniform. A compulsory uniform is one that your employer requires to wear, identifies you as an employee (has a logo) or is registered with AusIndustry.
- You can also claim the cost of any protective and safety clothing that may be required, such as steel-cap boots, safety glasses, high visibility vests and gloves.
- Conventional clothing or non-compulsory uniform items cannot be claimed. Even if you are required to wear a suit to work everyday, conventional clothing such as suits or shirts without a company logo cannot be claimed.
For more information, please visit: Uniform Claims.
Tax Deductions for Engineers: Home Office
- Home Office – If you perform some of your work from your home office, you may be able to claim a deduction for the costs you incur. The Taxation office allows a deduction of $0.52 per hour to cover the expenses of heating, cooling, lighting and depreciation of general office furniture such as chair and desk. Expenses such as stationery, telephone, internet, computers, etc can be claimed separately.
Tax Deductions for Engineers: Other Expenses
- You can claim for the cost of purchasing protective equipment that is necessary for your employment such as hardhats, steel-toed boots and sunglasses.
- You can claim for union fees and subscription to associations.
- You can claim for first aid courses and the renewal of required licenses and certifications.
- You are able to claim for the cost of any education that is sufficiently connected to your current employment to improve existing skills and gain salary increases. Expenses include fees, books, and stationary and associated travel.
- You cannot claim for any education that is designed to help you find and win new employment opportunities.
- You can make an immediate claim for the purchase of work related equipment under $300. If the equipment cost more than $300 you can claim depreciation expenses over the life of that asset.
7 Great Reasons to Choose Us
- Comfort that an experienced, professional tax agent checks every return before its lodged with the ATO.
- Access to professional, experienced, qualified, transparent accountants who will answer all your questions and provide jargon-free advice.
- Convenient, fast and simple to use software exclusive to OTA. Tax returns can be completed in 15 minutes from the comfort of your home or office.
- Affordable, fixed price fee (which is completely tax deductible). Tax refunds within 10 to 14 days from lodgement (subject to ATO processing).
- Safe, secure, ATO-approved website that is operated with absolute integrity.
- Free to try. No obligation. Should you complete a return and decide not to submit it for review and lodgement by us then no fee is payable.
Contact Online Tax Australia for All Your Online Tax Return Needs
If you’ve been searching for an experienced, professionally qualified, transparent accountant that truly understands tax rules and regulations in relation to engineers, then contact the friendly team at Online Tax Australia today:
- Call us on (03) 9852 9051
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org