Tax Deductions for Teachers

Tax deductions for teachers are varied and extensive. We understand that lodging a tax return can be a stressful process, particularly if you’re not too sure exactly what you’re entitled to claim. That’s why we’ve put together the guide below; to ensure that you’re full aware of all the tax rebate benefits that are available to you as a teacher or any other education sector professional.

The majority of the tax deductions for teachers take the form of out-of-pocket expenses, incurred over the course of the year, for which your employer does not reimburse you.

Tax Deductions for Teachers: Meals and Travel

  • Teachers may claim the cost of meals when working overtime provided you have received a meal allowance from your employer which is based on an Industrial Award. AND that allowance is shown separately on your PAYG certificate. You can claim the actual cost of the meal or up to the Australian Taxation Office allowable limit without retaining receipts. Amounts claimed over that amount will need to be supported with receipts.
  • You may claim the cost of travel (including any parking, tolls, taxis and public transport), if you are travelling to or from meetings, seminars, conferences, or training that is not being held at your usual place of work.
  • If you are required to stay away from home overnight for the purposes listed above, you may be eligible for a tax claim for the cost of accommodation and any meals consumed.
  • You may claim the cost of your personal car if it is used for work purposes, including travel to meetings, conferences or training, picking up teaching supplies, excursions, and sporting events that are not held at your usual place of work. If you do plan on claiming travel costs associated with your personal vehicle, then you should keep a diary of the number of kilometres you have travelled and review the various motor claim methods available.

For more information on tax rebates for vehicles, visit: Vehicle Tax Deductions

Tax Deductions for Teachers: Uniforms and Protective Clothing

  • As a teacher, you are eligible to claim the cost of your uniform, as long as it includes your employer’s logo. For more information, visit Uniform Claims.
  • There are a number of protective clothing items, specific to teaching that you may be claim as a tax deduction, including:
    • Safety items such as glasses and gloves
    • Art smocks, aprons and lab coats
    • Sun protection clothing and sunscreen (for yard duty)
  • Conventional clothing is not tax deductible, even if your employer requires that you wear specific items (such as business suits, specific coloured clothing, certain brands or items that your employer sells).
  • You can claim the cost of renting, repairing and cleaning any of the eligible work-related or protective clothing mentioned above, with the following provisions:
    • If your tax deduction claim for laundry is under $150, no written documentation is required. The Australian Taxation Office calculates the cost of laundry at $1 per load of work-related clothing, or 50 cents per load if other laundry items are included.
    • If you are claiming dry-cleaning or clothing repairs, you are required to keep receipts.

Tax Deductions for Teachers: Equipment and Tools

Tax Deductions for Teachers - Online Tax

  • You can claim a tax deduction for work related equipment and tools that cost less than $300 each.
  • Items worth more than $300 each must be depreciated over the useful life. When you enter the item in our depreciation calculator, it will calculate the correct claim for the current year and carry the balance forward to claim in future years.
  • If an item is used partly for business, and partly for private purposes, then you are entitled to claim the only the business-related portion.
  • Typical equipment and tools eligible for a tax deduction for teachers include:
    • Electronic equipment such as computers, i-Pads and mobile phones
    • Stationery such as diaries, organisers and log books
    • Briefcases and laptop carry bags

Tax Deductions for Teachers: Other Work Related Expenses

There are a number of other work related expenses that may be claimed as tax deductions by teachers, including:

  • Membership and union fees (such as to the Teachers Federation)
  • Subscriptions to professional journals and magazines
  • Newspapers purchased for teaching purposes
  • Home office expenses (refer Home Office Expenses)
  • Teaching related and reference books
  • Stop watches
  • Conference and seminar fees
  • Telephone and internet fees (for the work related portion only)

Tax Deductions for Teachers: General Expenses

There is also a range of general tax deductions, available to all Australians regardless of profession or occupation, including:

  • Self-education
  • Tax agent fees
  • Donations to registered charities
  • Income Protection Insurance

For further information, please visit Typical Tax Deductions.

7 Great Reasons to Choose Us

  1. Comfort that an experienced, professional tax agent checks every return before its lodged with the ATO.
  2. Access to professional, experienced, qualified, transparent accountants who will answer all your questions and provide jargon-free advice.
  3. Convenient, fast and simple to use software exclusive to OTA. Tax returns can be completed in 15 minutes from the comfort of your home or office.
  4. Affordable, fixed price fee (which is completely tax deductible).
  5. Tax refunds within 10 to 14 days from lodgement (subject to ATO processing).
  6. Safe, secure, ATO-approved website that is operated with absolute integrity.
  7. Free to try. No obligation. Should you complete a return and decide not to submit it for review and lodgement by us then no fee is payable.

Contact Online Tax Australia for All Your Online Tax Return Needs

If you’ve been searching for an experienced, professionally qualified, transparent accountant that truly understands tax rules and regulations in relation to teachers, then contact the friendly team at Online Tax Australia today: